Saturday, September 22, 2012

Polish Bacon casserole (Haluski)

This dish - Oh man.  I made this for my step father once and he loved it so much that he hid the left overs in the back of the fridge so he could eat them all the next day!

This dish has a story behind it.  I am a dietitian and I worked in a hospital for a couple of years.  I had to do Coumadin education for a lady - and when you are on coumadin you have to have very consistent Vitamin K consumption.  When I discussed this with her and which foods she would have to watch she got very upset.  She said, "Now I can't have my Haluski."  I asked her what that was and this is what she said.  "I am Polish, both my parents were born and raised in Poland.  This time of year we always have Haluski."  The she proceeded to tell me the recipe.  Basically, it is a casserole of bacon, cabbage, and noodles.  I know - sounds kind of nasty, right?  It isn't.  It is pure comfort food.

Ingredients:  (this makes a lot - we eat this for days - so you may want to 1/2 the recipe!)

2 pounds of bacon
1 onion (chopped)
1 head of cabbage
1 1/2 pounds of egg noodles (I like using no yolks)

Fry the bacon in a large pan.  I use the electric fry pan.  Fry until crispy but not black.  Set on paper towel to drain.

Start water for noodles.  Once boiling cook just until done (I cook for six minutes).  Then drain and set aside.

While bacon is cooking, chop cabbage into bite size pieces.  I make them a little bigger than the noodles since they cook down.  When bacon is done pour off half the oil from the bacon, add cabbage and onions to the remaining fat and fry, covered, at medium head until done (about 15 minutes).

While cabbage is cooking, chip bacon.  When cabbage is done add cabbage and bacon to the noodles.  Mix well and serve!



No comments:

Post a Comment