Monday, April 2, 2012

Shrimp and mushroom pasta

OK - I know - there are a thousand food blogs out there.  This isn't really a food blog - it is a "I want to share this stuff with people" blog.  To be honest I am kind of seeing this as the stuff I would talk to my Grandma about.  I still do walk around here and talk to her - but this is my public "Dear Grandma" letters, so I will be sharing my the yummy recipes I find on here.  I do so miss taking Grandma my leftovers - she would get so excited to try the food I made.

Well I came across a version of this on pinterest, and it looked so GOOD!  I put it on the menu for Saturday.  Initially it was for dinner, but the kids had soccer and after an argument over where we were going to eat lunch after soccer I just decided to make this for lunch.  I changed the original recipe some - since we are a family of fat people and we really like food (OK - my kids aren't fat but they sure do eat a lot!).  Everyone loved this meal.  It is NOT healthy, so wait to eat it on a day you have exercised, but it was so good!

http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp%3B89%3Enu%3D324%3A%3E%3A83%3E784%3EWSNRCG%3D357%3A4%3B425%3B325nu0mrj">

Creamy Shrimp and Mushroom Pasta

Serves 9 hearty eating people
  • 16 oz fettuccine or linguine
  • 20 tbsp butter, divided (I know this is a lot, but it needs it)
  • 16 oz fresh, sliced mushrooms
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 6 oz cream cheese, cut into small pieces
  • 2 tbsp dried parsley
  • 1 1/2 cup boiling water (from your noodle pot)
  • 2 lb cooked shrimp (feel free to buy frozen-gasp!)
  1. Boil and salt a large pot of water and cook your pasta.
  2. While your pasta is cooking, cook your shrimp if necessary and reserve.  If your shrimp are pre-cooked and frozen, quickly thaw them under running water.
  3. In a large skillet melt 4 tbsp of butter over medium heat and saute mushrooms until soft and brown.  Season with salt and pepper.
  4. Reserve cooked mushrooms and melt remaining butter in the skillet.  Add minced garlic, cream cheese, and herbs.  It doesn't look pretty right now - but it will come together.
  5. Simmer cream cheese mixture until well blended. Get a scoop of boiling pasta water from your noodle pot and mix it in, stirring quickly to smooth out the sauce.
  6. Keep sauce hot and add shrimp and mushrooms, mix well and simmer (stirring often) until everything is hot and thickened, about 10 minutes.
  7. Toss sauce with cooked noodles and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment